Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Shonen Knife Drummer Killed in Van Crash


Shonen Knife drummer Mana "China" Nishiura, on tour with Japanese
noise
rockers DMBQ, was killed Friday when her band's van flipped over on I-95
in
Delaware en route from Baltimore to Brooklyn. According to the website
Freewilliamsburg.com, DMBQ's tour manager, Michelle Cable, suffered a
major
head injury and the rest of the band was hospitalized. DMBQ lead singer
Shinji Masuko is still hospitalized but in stable condition, and
guitarist
Toru Matsui and bassist Ryuichi Watanabe have been released from the
hospital. DMBQ's Friday show at Club Exit with USAisamonster and Bad
Wizard
was cancelled because of the tragedy.

1 comment:

Gary said...

I only got to see DMBQ once, last April at 12 Galaxies, a small club on Mission street in San Francisco. It was one of the most energetic shows I ever saw. I couldn't take my eyes off China, which is something when you consider that:

a) She was tiny, so much so that I had to stand on a table at 12G just to see her, and

b) guitarist Shinji Masuko was literally running around the upper inside rim of the 12G balcony at the time. In fact I was so trained on the diminutive yet fiery, Keith Moon-like drummer that Masuko ran right into me on his climb to the balcony, knocking me over.

I hope DMBQ will continue, though replacing China will be a very tough call. -Armin Hammer