Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Letter to the Austin Chronicle from KWVA's Peter !


Here is a picture of Roky Erickson's son, Sumner, Brian Wilson and Roky in 2003.

Dear Editor,

Here in Eugene, Ore., Texas bands of the Sixties are held in the highest esteem, and no band out of the vast truthful reservoir of Texas Sixties bands is lauded more than the 13th Floor Elevators. I've made sure the Elevators are played at the very least twice per two-hour program on KWVA 88.1FM Eugene, Ore., where I work. I can make sure of this because I play whatever I want and always play plenty of recordings by the Chessmen, the Briks, the Penthouse 5, and the Exotics, all from Dallas; Zachary Thaks Liberty Bell from Corpus; the Outcasts and Stoics from San Antonio; and Neal Ford and the Ramadas from Houston.

Even with that heavy competition the Elevators not only get more airplay, they sound even greater and more powerful to me every time always. The history, the mystique, the feeling of Stacy Sutherland's super-charged steam-drill opening attack on the fast version of "Tried to Hide" has a complete thrillness to it all its own that I'm sure Elevator fans have no problem connecting with. Or the very first time I heard "Slip Inside This House" 20 years ago. At the very end of the song after Roky stops, Stacy starts this really smooth Jimmy Reed riff only sped up and so just leaped out at me and still does that I realized that's the only ending that could ever be heavy enough for the most amazing hypnotic intensity flow eight-minute song in music history, let alone Elevator folklore. It was then I realized only Stacy could do this almost impossible job, that is lead guitar for the 13th Floor Elevators. God bless you, Stacy.

Peter Weinberger
Eugene, Ore

No comments: