Saturday, February 18, 2006

Jody


Today's Radio Show is dedicated to my friend, Jody. Listen Here.

I don't use this blog as a diary and I rarely talk about personal stuff--but here I am alone on a Saturday night sitting here crying and I feel stupid. I am crying about an old girlfriend.
But she wasn't just an old girlfriend-she was the first major love of my life when I was in my teens,initally a good friend who was my steady girl for a few years till she introduced me to my first shack-up lover Heather(who ended up marrying my good friend Armin.)
Jody was absolutely crazy--vivacious,neurotic, full of laughs and pranks-and real hip and smart. This picture doesn't really capture her, cuz she's wearing a deliberately square dress that she hated so much that she loved it.
But for some reason this picture is how I remember her.
She was the girlfriend who made me wear wire rim glasses because my horn rim glasses were so uncool-went with me to buy blue jeans which my folks hated.Together we listened to Smiley Smile, The Bonzo Dog Band , Harry Nilsson and Randy Newman.She went to rock concerts with me and Gary M and drove the two of us nuts.
So why at the age of 49 did this organic health food freak and natural foods store owner,why oh why did she get a badass case of lung cancer?
She was diagnosed in November and it advanced so quickly that now it is spreading to other areas. I called her in her hospital room today and she was so doped up on morphine and pain killers that she didn't know what time it was and couldn't talk.

Jody,I will always cherish the fun times we had in our youth and I hope that someday in an afterlife we can do it again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marc, Your "Jody" blog is so moving, I cried a little bit rembering the people I have lost to cancer. It is a big ugly, scary, frightening word. Cancer makes no sence ever. D.B.

The Sunday Morning Hangover said...

what is also frightening is that here was a young woman who didn't smoke,ran a health food store, ate organic food, and still came down with advanced lung cancer.
Her Mom told me that there has been a spike in non-smoking lung cancers in the So. Connecticut area.
Thanks for your comment-I have lost most of my relatives to the Big C.