Saturday, May 13, 2006

Secret Service Points Assault Rifles at Medicare Protestors


Pic of Bush Motorcade SUV w/ Assault Rifle barely visible
by John Russell Fl 5
Sat May 13, 2006 at 01:31:43 PM PDT

Last Tuesday myself together with about 100 other patriotic Americans
got together outside Sun City Center near Tampa, Florida to express
our sentiments to a president not known for listening.…….
So addressing the president on the subject of Medicare part D prior to
Bush giving his speech to retirees in Sun City Center this past
Tuesday to encourage their participation in the program seemed
entirely appropriate. As you can see, if you look closely at the
picture provided, a hand holding the stock of an assault rifle can
just barely be made out behind the back of my head.... This black
SUV directly behind me is the vehicle identified as having a swat
attired individual brandish an assault rifle out the window at myself
and fellow first amendment advocates. I did not personally see the
gun as I had my back to the SUV as this picture clearly shows. My
intern (Nic Zateslo) took this picture. In this sequence, I heard
Nic, along with other protesters nearby exclaim excitedly about this
clear cut intimidation tactic.
As I stated earlier, I have led and participated in many such events,
(Ashcroft, Jeb, GW) and while fully aware that Secret Service and
other law enforcement are armed, I have never seen brandished as was
the case last Tuesday a firearm of any kind. In fact my experience
with Secret service personnel has been entirely one of mutual
cooperation... and of course just because they are employed by the
worst president in history, there is no requirement that they be
republican as a condition for employment. On Tuesday, approximately
10 or more people actually saw the weapon which was noted to be
sticking out the window with the individuals finger... on the trigger.
Ms. Geraci, another witness to the incident, who clearly saw the
"act" was there to protest Mr. Bush's budget cuts to Alzheimers
research totaling more than 20 million dollars which affects people
like her father and my mother who is likewise affected by the disease.
……
It is hard to see, but right behind John's head is the man holding the gun with the window open in the SUV. This SUV has been identified by all the people who we have talked to who saw the gun as the SUV they saw.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/5/13/163143/295
(I have photoshopped the image for brightness and size)
I am not offended that the Secret Service carries rifles to protect the president, but dozens of protestors witnessed the assault rifle being pointed right at them.
Is this a new tactic to intimidate and scare away citizens from their right to assembly?

No comments: