Monday, September 20, 2004

17th Eugene Record Convention In 5 months!!!

and am I excited! Not to jump the gun but it's on Feb 13 2005 at the Hilton and I am registering now to sell some cool vinyl. Here's what Emerald writer Ryan Nyberg said about last year's:

While there is money to be made in record dealing, the convention doesn't seem to be about that aspect. There is chatter going on everywhere, with people discussing music, bragging over their latest finds, asking about obscure bootlegs, etc. And while many collectors' items are for sale, this isn't a place for people just out to find expensive first editions. The people here honestly seem to care about music.
"My first record was 'Telstar' by the Tornadoes and I haven't been the same since," dealer and KWVA DJ Marc Time said. "As a kid I would take money for my clarinet lessons and use it to buy singles, like 'All Along the Watchtower' by Jimi Hendrix."
I guess that part of the reason I'm sympathetic toward these people is because I'm almost one of them. After blowing nearly $40 and filling a backpack with everything from Aretha Franklin to old 1960s garage rock compilations, I shouldn't be one to judge the obsessive behavior of others.
And this is obsessive behavior, without a doubt. What other way is there to explain the kinds of things people search for at conventions such as this?
"My personal genre that I'm searching for is Christian ventriloquist records," Time said. "Anything where people have a puppet and are singing evangelical songs, that's what I'm looking for."

No comments: